A lot has changed in Bootstrap 5 over Bootstrap 4. Here is the list of major differences you need to keep in mind when updating your old projects that are built with Bootstrap 4 or earlier. If you are starting a new project with Bootstrap 5 or are using Bootstrap templates, keeping these changes in mind will help you make a decision about choosing Bootstrap 5 over Bootstrap 4.
- Enhanced grid system
- SVG Icon Library
- CSS custom properties
- Expanded color palette
- Updated Form Controls
- Utilities API
- Browser support – IE 10 and 11 support removed
- Responsive font sizes (RFS)
- CSS Grid Support
- New offcanvas component and Navbar Offcanvas
- RTL support
- New accordion
The Advantages of Bootstrap 5 Development are:
- Fewer Cross browser bugs
- A consistent framework that supports major of all browsers and CSS compatibility fixes
- Lightweight and customizable
- Responsive structures and styles
- Good documentation and community support
- Bootstrap 5 UI Kits & Admin Kits
Bootstrap 5 vs Bootstrap 4 – Which one to use?
Here are some reasons why you would want to stick to Bootstrap 4:
- Your project needs support for IE 10 and IE 11.
- You are already using Bootstrap 4 and don’t want to accommodate new breaking changes of Bootstrap 5 yet.
- Your project is dependent on jQuery and you don’t need new features of Bootstrap 5.
why you would want to switch over to Bootstrap 5 in your new projects or update your older ones:
- You are using React or Vue.js and want to use Bootstrap without the dependency on jQuery.
- You want to utilize the new features of Bootstrap such as expanded color palette, enhanced grid system, custom utilities, RTL etc.